What's cooking good looking?

When I was young, cooking was an obligation..and it still is. There were times when I just hated it. I was told off a few many times for either over cooking or undercooking the rice! hahaha. But as time passes on, i think i have progressed because the complaints became from little to none.

I have learnt many about cooking, thanks to the magical book of recipes and my mom, of course. I still havent mastered the art of baking..i will soon get there, but only God knows when. For now, my cookies are limp and my cakes are either hard as a rock, or fail to rise up. I am so impressed with my mom. Can you imagine, on christmas eve she manage to bake 2 cakes in 1 night? I should show some pictures of my mom's work one day. since my room is the closest to the kitchen..i smelled sweet air night.

Anyhoo, since my birthday is coming up i have decided to cook for the whole family. Im just bored of going out to some fancy restaurant for my birthday dinner. I havent really decided on what im going to cook on that day.. maybe just 2 or 3 dishes, 1 dessert and of course cake.. a birthday wont be a birthday without a birthday cake.. hehehe.

On dessert, i plan to make a Filipino Leche Flan.. i have attempted to make one last xmas but it didnt turn out like the picture below:


Here's the recipe to the Leche Flan..My BFF has given me her mom's version of the Flan but i just dont know where i put it. So i browsed around the internet and found this.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Estimated cooking time: 1 hour

Leche Flan Ingredients:

1 can (390g) evaporated milk
1 can (390g) condensed milk
10 egg yolks
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or lemon essence

For the caramel:

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

Leche Flan Cooking Instructions:

In a saucepan, mix the sugar & water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.

Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum moulds - you can use any shape: oval, round or square. Spread the caramel on the bottom of the moulds.

Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.

Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum moulds. Fill the moulds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick.

Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.

Steam for about 20 minutes OR Bake for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the moulds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.

Let cool then refrigerate.

To serve:

run a thin knife around the edges of the mould to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a platter on top of the mould and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.

Cooking Tips:

You can tell when the Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife -if it comes out clean, it is cooked.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CrossingBorders

Holy?

Kuching getaway (Day 1)